Friday, August 1, 2008

Collin went to P’s house Wednesday evening, so I am starting my two week stretch of solitude. Yesterday didn’t really count because I spent a large part of the day at John’s watering the lawn and garden (and feeding the cats) since he’s still camping in the mountains with his family. He gets back today, so I don’t need to go back over there.

There have been some fleeting thoughts while Collin was here that I haven’t had time to explore. Something about cucurbits for one thing, though I know how goofy that must sound.

It’s just that I’ve planted so many of them this year: zucchini, butternut squash, pickling cucumbers, watermelon, and cantaloupe. And especially with these ridiculous cucu-melons growing…I just see more clearly than ever how all of these different fruits are really the same, just choosing to manifest with slight variations. They evolved in specific locales orginally, developing their variations based on those local conditions and qualities. But they really are more or less the same thing manifesting. Just with a twist.

Okay, I know this is nothing profound--or it doesn’t sound profound. It just builds on everything I’ve been learning somehow. People are like cucurbits--the same phenomenon around the world, blossoming forth but with regional variations based on conditions and qualities held in the land and environment. We interact with the land and rise from it in unique expressions. “What wants to manifest here?” has to be one of the most vital questions we could ever ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment