Sunday, December 30, 2007

I guess it’s about time for my end-of-year reflections. Where has the past year gotten me?

I’m not the same person I was last year at this time—I’ve definitely been changed. Maybe it’s been the most profound year of change for me ever, but can I really put my finger on anything for sure? All I can really say is I’ve deepened my experience with voluntary simplicity, I’ve been exploring human potential, I’ve been studying our current human and global predicament, and I’ve been trying to find my place here in this historical moment. Yet basic as those things sound, in all of this an old paradigm has been shattered, and a new one is emerging for me. I’m being reborn into a new world.

This whole time since I moved to Snyder seems to have been a time for breaking down the old to make way for a new way of seeing. I don’t think I’m all the way into the new paradigm yet, but I do know it involves transcending materialism, transcending the ego, living fearlessly, living directly, viscerally, and immediately, being always connected with the earth and nature, thinking outside of the box, and allowing the Divine to flow through me.

I’m not doing any of that perfectly yet, but I am doing all of it some of the time.

Imagine what the world would be like if all of us were doing all of that all of the time!

I don’t know if that day will ever come. Things look pretty dismal for humanity as things stand. I know it’s possible. In a flash we could birth the new paradigm for society as a whole, not just for a few individuals scattered here and there.
 
 
Is my role to try to coax humanity to transition? It sounds like such a ridiculous, impossible thing to suggest. But how can I know if I don’t try?

No comments:

Post a Comment